The pine trees on the grasslands are not native to Wise County. They were planted by the Forest Service in the 1960’s. So the lands were purchased between 1933 through 1946. Afterwards, the Soil Conservation Service (now NRCS) managed the lands. Then in 1960, nineteen national grasslands were officially transferred to the US Forest Service. The grasslands in Wise County was originally named the Cross Timbers National Grasslands. In 1974, the name was changed to Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands. Twenty national grasslands exist today.